C.B. Upton is the founder of Upton Law Firm. He has a breadth of trial and appellate experience, concentrating on business disputes, land use and zoning issues, product liability, administrative law, and political matters. In addition, he has counseled corporate clients on a variety of commercial transactions and other business issues.
Judges and attorneys have recognized Mr. Upton with an AV Peer Review Rating. An AV rating indicates that an attorney has reached the height of professional excellence, demonstrating the highest levels of skill and integrity. He has also achieved Avvo’s top rating of Superb based on the company’s proprietary algorithm. Less than 1% of lawyers in the country have this distinction.
Before entering private practice, Mr. Upton served the State of Florida in a variety of capacities, including Deputy General Counsel to the Governor, General Counsel at the Department of State, Deputy Solicitor General, and Assistant Attorney General. In these roles, he litigated several high-profile cases of statewide importance. He was also often called upon to advise various high-level government officials about legal and policy matters.
Mr. Upton began his legal career as a law clerk to Judge Eugene Siler of the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, where he worked on cases throughout the country in the First, Third, Sixth, Ninth, Tenth, and Eleventh Circuit Courts of Appeals.
Prior to practicing law, Mr. Upton worked in finance with Morgan Stanley, one of the world’s largest investment banking and financial services firms.
Honors & Awards
- AV-Preeminent Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Superb Rated by Avvo
- Top Rated Lawyer in Appellate Law by American Lawyer Media
- Top Lawyers in Florida by The Legal Network
- Who’s Who Among Executives & Professionals
- Kentucky Colonel (commissioned by Governor Beshear)
- Gardner W. Beckett, Jr. ACLU Civil Rights & Civil Liberties Award
- Williams F. Blews Pro Bono Service Award
- Book Award Appellate Practice
- Book Award Constitutional Litigation
- Book Award Law & Economics
- Morgan Stanley Director’s Award
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- United States District Court, Middle District of Florida
- United States District Court, Northern District of Florida
- United States District Court, Southern District of Florida
- Stetson University College of Law, J.D. (2006)
- Law Review (Notes & Comments Editor)
- Moot Court Board
- Judicial Intern to Honorable JB Johnson, U.S. District Court, ED KY
- University of Tennessee, B.A., Political Science (2000)
- Student Government Officer
- Student Alumni Association